Judson Memorial Church

Mortar and Pinning Samples

The scaffolding has just come down from Judson Memorial Church on the south side of Washington Square Park. The building was completed in 1892 to the design of McKim Mead & White, is considered to be an excellent example of Italian Renaissance Eclectic style, and is both a New York City landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Old Structures Engineering assisted William Stivale Building Conservator in assessing the condition of the facade, particularly the terra cotta cornice (last repaired/restored in 1990). The building was scaffolded for his window restoration project which allowed the team to perform a “hands on” assessment of the cornice and other facade elements. Happily only minor structural damage was present; repointing was needed along with delicate pinning and patching repairs. The work was completed by Burda Construction; Edison Coatings supplied the patching materials.

Scaffold Being Removed
Restored Cornice
Scroll to Top